Monday, April 19, 2010

home sweet home

This last weekend saw the anniversary of a special day for the Varey family. It was 20 years ago, on April 18th, that we rolled into the Denver area and claimed it as our new home.

We didn't know anyone here. Danielle was 2 and I was seven months pregnant with Jake. We wanted to move away from the hustle and bustle of living in southern California and Don was granted a transfer from the company he worked for. The Denver area seemed like a good place and it has been. It's been a wonderful place to raise a family.

There are so many memories encased in the last 20 years. Of course, there's been some hardships but it's mainly been good memories; watching our children grow into responsible and loving adults, being blessed with so many good friends, working in different areas of church ministry, living at the foot of and trips made into the great rocky mountains, the different jobs we've held, the two homes we've lived in, and the list can go on and on (and it does). It's been nice thinking back through the years and reflecting on the times that have made up the past two decades.

Home is where the heart is. Who would have guessed, 20 years ago, that we were driving into a place that would hold our heart so completely.

8 comments:

MightyMom said...

you have your roots in the sea and your wings in the mountains. :-)

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Isn't Denver the best? I moved away once and missed it so much I had to move back....

Just Mom said...

Happy Home Sweet Home Anniversary!


We're coming up on our 14th year here.

Melissa said...

I miss having roots. We've moved so much that no where really feels like home right now. Hopefully soon!!
I'm glad you found such a great place in Denver!!

Karen said...

Happy Anniversary! Your story is similar to my family's, but we're from the east coast. My parents moved out here in 1966 and I still think of it every year on February 9th. It was such a big step for my mom to leave her family. But, I've always been grateful that we were 'transplanted' to such a beautiful state.

Momma Roar said...

We still live 5 minutes from where we were born and raised. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to start anew somewhere.

Happy Home Sweet Home Anniversary (I like that JM!)

Maxine said...

That's so nice,Diana. Glad to hear that you are so happy there and have been blessed. Hope the coming years are just as good.

Jamey said...

What a great anniversary! I LOVE the Denver area. It would have been nice to stay but we did what was best for the kids. We might be back one day!